Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What were your experiences like skiing in colorado?

going to colorado for the first time. confused on where i should go for skiing. please give full details. whats the best ski area? (ex. snow mass, buttermilk, breckenridge, monarch mountain, cooper, copper mountain, vail, steamboat, aspen mountain, winter park, powder horn, wolf creek, keystone) what things can you do there(outdoor activities), how much snow does in get in february, best hotels, whats the town like, what are the views like, what are the mountains like, etc....What were your experiences like skiing in colorado?
Ski Magazine just published their list of the top resorts in their October issue - I was reading it at Barnes and Noble yesterday. Check that out - those reviews were compiled from many more respondents than you're likely to get on here.



I'll tell you about the ones I've been to.



My uncle and aunt (forest ranger and former ski instructor) took me to Monarch and Wolf Creek. I enjoyed both a lot in terms of skiing. They are out of the way, which means uncrowded, which I also consider a plus. I'm not much for nightlife, and I was 17 at the time, so I can't really comment there, but I'm guessing there probably is none.



Crested Butte is great. It's a good combination of remote, but still stuff to do. If you want cheap, you can fly into Gunnison, CO and take the bus from the grocery store parking lot up to CB for $1 (double check that before doing it - it's been a few years since I've been there). The base area is growing, and the town of CB is just a couple miles away with more activities there.



Winter Park has traditionally been a local's place, with not a lot of lodging, dining, etc. That is changing...there's a lot more there than there was just a few years ago. There is a lot of terrain variety, and good bumps if you're into that.



I'm not inclined to go to Vail, Keystone, etc. Too crowded. If I'm paying $2k or whatever for plane tickets, hotel, lift tickets, food, etc. I want to spend my time skiing, not waiting in a lift line for an hour each time. I realize once you make your way to the back the crowds aren't nearly as bad, but still...I'm kind of turned off.
  • restaurant week nyc
  • vegan diet
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment