Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Help with college vet program?

So, i have recently started to fill out the fasfa. I am a senior in high school and my plan is to become a veterinary tech once i get out of high school, get a job, and then do more schooling to become a veterinarian. I was wondering if someone with more knowledge would let me know if this was a good plan, and if so recommend programs and such i could enroll in/sign up for that would help me achieve this goal. I live in California and planned to go to the local community college(Copper Mountain College) to start my journey. I have little to no knowledge of what classes i need to take and such to achieve my goal, or if any of those classes would even be available at Copper Mountain College. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.Help with college vet program?
If you want to be a veterinarian then skip the tech program. You can work as a veterinary assistant without any education. As far as vet school admissions committees are concerned they don't care if you worked as a tech or an assistant... they just want experience working in a vet clinic.

The vet tech program will take 2 years. The problem is that none of that coursework transfers toward a bachelor's degree or counts toward the prevet requirements. So, you'd still need 4 more years of undergraduate work and 4 years of vet school.

It's a much better to just go straight into a bachelor's degree/pre-vet program and skip the vet tech program all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment